Tuesday, November 15, 2011

More things from the Florida trip

Received some mail yesterday from the US.  On opening it, I find that I received a traffic violation while in Sunshine Florida.  Apparently I didn't come to a full stop while making a right turn on a red light.  It seems that the intersection was one of those in Sunshine that has "red light violation" cameras, and there were a couple nice photos of our rental car, and a close-up of the licence plate, making a right hand turn.  I didn't feel that it showed much, but I also was able to access a video taken at the time.  Yes, I didn't come to a complete stop, so I guess I was guilty.

I was a little upset at this, but figured I was clearly wrong, and needed to pay the fine (it also was better to pay it early, rather than late, as the next step was to up the fine to $500 and possible court summons).  Well, this is where it began to get interesting.

There were directions for paying online, but when I tried to go online to do it, I only got to the FAQ page, and the bottom showed a balance of $0.  No matter what icon I tried on the homepage, I couldn't get to where I could pay online.  Then, I read that I could also pay over the phone, but by the time I got to that, the offices were closed back east.

So, today, I got back onto the phone and went through the process of phoning in.  After long waits, I finally got through to someone.  After explaining who I was and what had happened (not being able to pay online, etc.), I asked about paying the fine.  The lady told me that the violation had been cancelled.  I wondered why and she said it was because my licence was from out of country.  I clarified again (the last thing I need is to be arrested going over the border into the US because of an outstanding traffic violation in Florida) and she told me that I didn't owe anything.  I guess good things to come to those who wait.

Bottom line for me is that I feel pretty lucky, I need to look at my driving habits and make sure I come to a stop, and that I feel that Florida is maybe trying to keep good relations with tourists.  I think I would go back there for another holiday sometime.

The other mail that came was from Budget Retals saying that I did get the violation, and that they had given my particulars to the City of Sunshine.  That part cost me $25 for their handling fees, but I figured that was better than the large fine.  I did pay Budget the $25.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.