Thursday, September 18, 2014

1st Day at Sea - Sept 17

Woke up very late.  We both had been awake at various times throughout the night, but in the morning, slept quite well.  It was 8:44 when I got up and went into the shower.  By the time we both had finished, it was almost 10:00.

We went up to the buffet for some breakfast.  There were big, rolling waves, so the ship was rolling around a bit, making it difficult to walk.  Dawn was a little unsteady, so I held onto her, so she would feel more comfortable while walking.  I dished up her plate while she sat at a table, outside at the stern of the ship.  Then I went and picked up my plate - french toast, lots of bacon, a couple sausages, and some scrambled eggs.  Too much, but it was our first breakfast ;-).

After that we walked around a bit, then went back to our room.  Dawn had booked a pedicure for 12:45, so we stayed in our room until about 12:30, and then I walked up with her to the Spa.

I dropped her off, and then went on a walk myself.  As I said, it is a small ship, and it didn't take me long to case out all the spots.  There isn't a lot to find, but I did see the Captain's Circle area, and the place where tours can be booked. I walked up to each floor, exploring if there was something of interest.  Then, back to my room while I waited for Dawn to finish.

When I went to pick her up, she asked me to get her some Gravol - the rocking and rolling at the bow of the ship was upsetting her stomach.  I went and got some, and then waited for her to be finished, just outside the Spa in the Card Room.  She was about 15 minutes longer.

When she came out, she didn't look too healthy, so we went back to the room and she got into bed and slept.  After a couple hours she woke up, and said she was feeling much better.

About 5:30, we left for the restaurant, arriving before the doors opened.  In a few minutes, they let us in, and we went to our table (we wanted to get there early enough to get the same chairs as earlier, not wanting to end up sitting on the couch that was for 2 people and was facing away from the window.  It would have been very difficult for Dawn to get into and out of.

Our friends from yesterday arrived (Marlene and Donna), and we talked about the day.  Donna had not felt well either, and had also had some gravol.  Just after we ordered, the waiter brought another gentleman (Jim) to sit at our table.  Jim's wife (Lois) was not feeling well also, and she stayed in their room.  They are from Pennsylvania.

Had a nice dinner.  Dawn had beef medallions, and I had spicy rubbed roast beef.  Both were great.  We really enjoyed the vegetables - not cooked too long.  Desert was a double fudge cookie and ice cream for me, and key lime pie for Dawn.  We were very full when it was over.

From there, we went to the show.  We were a little late arriving, so didn't get great seats, but they also weren't too close to the stage..  The act was a young male singer who sang Sinatra and Buble songs.  He was pretty good, but it wasn't overly interesting to us so we left after about half an hour.

Then it was back to our room to read and watch TV, and then off to bed.  A quiet day, but one with fairly rough seas, and overcast skies with rain every now and then.  There is not a speck of land in sight.  At the last sign on the TV, we were over 400 miles from Vancouver heading Southwest toward Hawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.